Chariots of God- Kings & Priests
For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. - Colossians 1:16 -17
The last few days we have been examining Zechariah’s visions. The last vision is found in Zechariah 6; it’s the vision of 4 chariots/horses and the Branch. As stated earlier these visions have dual meanings they represent Israel and the Church Age. There are multiple interpretations of today’s passage as you read chapter 6 let Holy Spirit give you revelation.
I want to focus today’s devotion in little different direction. Upon waking up this morning I heard the Spirit say, ‘My word runs swiftly’. There are 2 passages of scripture that uses this phrase. Psalms 147:15 and 2 Thessalonians 3:1
Word of God Runs Swiftly
- Ps. 147:15 He sends out His command to the earth; His word runs very swiftly.
- 2 Thess. 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you,
Chariots of God
I believe this phrase relates to the vision of the chariots. There are 65 verses and 130 instances in the Bible relating to chariots they represent might or power. Chariots likened unto angels. They are instruments of judgment and war; God routs His enemies with them, Elijah was taken up to heaven in one. Elijah and Elisha were likened unto chariots of Israel and men are told not to trust in chariots.
- Psalms 68:17 The chariots of God are myriads, thousands upon thousands; The Lord is among them as at Sinai, in holiness.
- Isaiah 66:15 For behold, the LORD will come with fire And with His chariots, like a whirlwind, To render His anger with fury, And His rebuke with flames of fire.
- Jeremiah 51:20-21 ”You are My battle-ax and weapons of war: For with you I will break the nation in pieces; With you, I will destroy kingdoms; With you, I will break in pieces the horse and its rider; With you, I will break in pieces the chariot and its rider.
- Psalm 20:7 Some boast in chariots and some in horses, But we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God.
Vision of the four horses and their chariots.
Zechariah 6:1-3 What Zechariah saw. Then I turned and raised my eyes and looked, and behold, four chariots were coming from between two mountains, and the mountains were mountains of bronze. With the first chariot were red horses, with the second chariot black horses, with the third chariot white horses, and with the fourth chariot dappled horses; strong steeds.
- Four chariots were coming from between two mountains: Since the original text says the two mountains, most assume they are the Mount of Olives and Mount Zion. Mountains of bronze associates these mountains with strength and judgment.
- Four chariots . . . red horses . . . black horses . . . whites horses . . . dappled horses; strong steeds: The horsemen of Zechariah 1 were observers on reconnaissance. Thesefour chariots and their horses seem to be hostile agents of God’s judgment, emissaries of His war against the earth.
Zechariah 6: 4-8 What the vision means. Then I answered and said to the angel who talked with me, “What are these, my lord?” And the angel answered and said to me, “These are four spirits of heaven, who go out from their station before the Lord of all the earth. The one with the black horses is going to the north country, the white is going after them, and the dappled are going toward the south country.” Then the strong steeds went out, eager to go, that they might walk to and fro throughout the earth. And He said, “Go, walk to and fro throughout the earth.” So they walked to and fro throughout the earth. And He called to me, and spoke to me, saying, “See, those who go toward the north country have given rest to My Spirit in the north country.”
- Four spirits of heaven: This means that these four chariots are actually four angelic beings sent from God.
- John Calvin said that these angels are compared to horsemen on chariots because “these ride swiftly as it were through the whole world to execute what God commands them.” If Zechariah had the technology of today he might picture the angels in fast cars or fighter jets, showing how swiftly and powerfully they move across the earth to accomplish God’s purpose.
Prophecy of the BRANCH, who is both king and priest.
Zechariah 6: 12 -15 “Then speak to him, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts, saying: “Behold, the Man whose name is the BRANCH! From His place, He shall branch out, and He shall build the temple of the LORD; Yes, He shall build the temple of the LORD. He shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule on His throne; so He shall be a priest on His throne, and the counsel of peace shall be between them both. Now the elaborate crown shall be for a memorial in the temple of the LORD for Helem, Tobijah, Jedaiah, and Hen the son of Zephaniah. Even those from afar shall come and build the temple of the LORD. Then you shall know that the LORD of hosts has sent Me to you. And this shall come to pass if you diligently obey the voice of the LORD your God.”
- Heldai, Tobijah, and Jedaiah: Taking the meaning of the names (Heldai means robust, Tobijah means God’s goodness, and Jedaiah means God knows), McGee sees the intention that God knows that through His goodness, He will put His king on the throne, and He will do it in a robust manner.
- Now the elaborate crown shall be for a memorial: The LORD makes it clear that the crown for Joshua was a picture of the ruling Priest-King in the future. God never intended for Joshua to take control as king in the Jerusalem of his day. [David Guzik Commentary]
Kings & Priests Unto Our God -We are God’s Temple
- I Corinthians 3:16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
- Revelation 5:10 And have made us kings and priests to our God, And we shall reign on the earth.
Word of the Lord
Behold, the Branch says the Spirit of God! Jesus, My Son, is the Branch - He is King and Priest. He is the ultimate ruler of the universe and the forever intercessor who stands before My Throne on behalf of My people. Through His accomplished work on the Cross, He has made you be kings and priest unto Me. You are now the temple of the Lord those who dwell upon the earth who are chosen to rule in the midst of My enemies (Ps. 110). You have been chosen to intercede on behalf of men - you are My battle ax and weapons of war. I have given My chariots - the host of heaven are at your disposal. Release them to bring forth judgment upon My enemies. Release My Word it will run swiftly throughout the earth to execute My plans and purposes. You have been chosen - Rise up as kings and priest fulfill the mandate given you by the Branch says the Lord.
Open our eyes, Lord!
Open Thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Thy law. - Psalms 119:18 (KJ21)
What does the Bible say?
Read: Zechariah 6
Action: Selah, ponder the scriptures and let Holy Spirit awaken you to your kingly and priestly role upon the earth.
Decree: I am a king and priest unto My God. I will execute His will and stand in the gap for men. The host of heaven and the camp of men are working together in this hour.